Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Getting ready for Winter!

Did you know you could make your own crude version of lamination?  You can.  It's really cheap and clings to the windows.  What is it? Saran wrap.  Wait, I know what you're thinking.  DUH.  Well, how about making creations with it.  Put an iron on a low setting, put a piece of wax paper down, a piece of white copy paper (blank), a piece of saran wrap, whatever your creation is (it doesn't work with large pieces of paper, lots of glitter, etc...there has to be holes in creation to seal it in the middle), another piece of saran wrap, a piece of white copy paper (blank), and another piece of wax paper.  Once your sandwich is made, iron it briefly.  (Before you remove everything, check to make sure you've ironed it enough so your creation doesn't get messed up.)  If there is glitter on it, lay the iron down on it repeatedly, don't move the iron around like you would when ironing clothes.  If you see from my Christmas tree made of glitter, you will see what happens when you slide the iron around...the glitter spreads before it is sealed in.  Glitter doesn't seal as well and is heavy (for all intents and purposes) so I had to use tape to help it stick on it's surface...plus I tried to put it on my wooden cabinet doors that are painted white.  Also, you should know that glitter doesn't shine well in the window which is why I put it on the cabinet door.
 
You can see the snowflake I made.  It sealed up wonderfully and sticks to the microwave without assistance.
  
This was random pieces of cut up paper to see what would happen, if anything, when I over lapped them.
 
Normally I would let Daphne try this experiment herself and see how things went.  However, this one involved an iron and melting a thin layer of plastic so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause a fire with her beside me when we made them.  The first time I wanted to try it in a controlled environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment