Thursday, February 7, 2013

It's a Butterfly Thing

Interestingly enough, the pictures are foggy.  I guess I need to clean the lens on my IPhone.  (I'm getting a new one next month.  That 2 year contract is way too long.)  I decided today's lesson would be the life of a butterfly.  What kid doesn't like learning about butterflies.  So...I pulled a book about butterflies out and I looked up an animated video on youtube just for kids about the butterfly life cycle.  It was a great video, but the guy's voice was computer distorted and sounded funny.  The kids got a great laugh out of his voice.  But it was very informative.  Then I printed off 2 life cycles from google images.  One I cut up and one I used for teaching.  After we went over the life cycle and learned all the words, I used the cut up one to play a game of putting them in order.  (I can't wait to get to the teacher's co-op so I can get them laminated and put some magnets on the back!)  Our crafts were as follows.  I pain-stakingly created this leaf below in paint.  (If you want a copy of it, I will email it to you...as always, free of charge!)  The eggs are rice.  The caterpillar is pom-poms with little wiggly eyes on it.  The pupa is a sheet of foam paper (not sure what it's called but it's found in the craft section in tons of different colors and sizes).  The butterfly is tissue paper and half of a pipe cleaner.  The pictures today are of my examples so the kids could see what we were trying to do.  (of course they got tons of free play, exercise and free activity time.  This was just a special lesson we did!
Below is a butterfly jar.  I copied one into paint from google and typed inside the jar.  Then I let the kids glue butterflies in them.  Once again, I googled random butterflies.  Since they were so little I did the cutting but they got to cut paper later.  I wanted them to be able to see some of the different butterflies out there.  They had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment