Monday, March 4, 2013

Tomato soup better than Cambell's!

Today we are making tomato soup!  I found a simple recipe online and decided to use it and tweak it.  I've made tomato soup once before (Gordon Ramsey recipe) and swore I would never do it again with how hard it was and how long it took.  (think roasting tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc then cooking it, then about 20 other steps to it)  It was really good, but the effort wasn't worth it.  But the other day I ran across something so much more simpler and decided to use the basics of it and make my own.  It's half way done and all I can think is how yummy it smells and how delicious it tastes.  Daphne wanted to help so after I cut up everything I let her help pour and stir.  She was so proud of herself!

2 1/2 pounds of tomatoes
1 small onion
1 1/2 Tbsp butter (optional)
4-5 garlic cloves
sea salt
pepper
basil
parsley

Chop up the onions, garlic and tomatoes in small pieces.  Heat medium sauce pan on high and put butter in.  Once melted add onions, garlic and tomatoes.  They will start to release liquids and make it kinda soupy.  See picture above.  Add the seasonings to taste.  Let it boil for a few minutes (stirring continuously).  Then reduce to a simmer.  Keep stirring until the heat has decreased enough to not burn.  After 1 1/2-2 hours of simmering, stick it in the blender.  If you don't want the texture from the tomato skins, seeds, and such, then just strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer.  Problem solved!  Make some home made bread during this time if you want (or use french bread from the store) and it is yummy!  I haven't even finished the simmering part and I'm sticking some home made pretzel bread cubes into it and eating it.  Thinking next time I need to make a double or triple batch to can.

No comments:

Post a Comment