Saturday, December 1, 2012

Getting creative with random things

The other day Daphne found a game of pick up sticks.  Other than stab thing with the sticks I didn't know what to tell her to do with them so I made a game.  I took a cardboard basket I got from Target for $1 and used a nail to poke holes in it.  It became a favorite game instantly.  After having it a week or so she started using the sticks to count.  As she put one in a hole she counted, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Once she got to five she ran through the numbers all the way to 12.  This is a significant thing for her.  This is the first time she has initiated counting on her own and gone to 12 without help AND it's the first time she has associated counting objects and using numbers by herself.  Since there are different colored sticks we also use this as a color game.  Sometimes I let her lead play and sometimes I suggest things.  Can you find all of the yellow sticks?  How many red sticks do you see?
 
This was another impromptu game I made.  A styrofoam sphere, pipe cleaners, and straws.  I cut the sphere in half with a knife and cut the pipe cleaners in half as well.  Then I folded the pipe cleaners in half and twisted them together tightly.  Then I carefully pushed/twisted them into the styrofoam.  Afterwards I cut some straws up so she could thread them on the pipe cleaners.  I have to straighten them up sometimes but over all, this is another fun game she enjoys quite a bit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment