Thursday, December 6, 2012

Colored Rice! You can do it!

I googled a lot of different way to color rice trying to find an easy and quick way.  I was surprised to find a recipe that was what I needed (and worked with rice and pasta).  I used about 1 1/2-2 cups of rice per bag, two teaspoons of rubbing alcohol, and 10 drops of liquid food coloring.  The red was kinda pink but all of the colors were a softer color.  To make them more bold use extra food coloring.  I used the walmart brand food coloring so it came with red, blue, yellow and green.  To make orange I used 3 drops of red and 7 of yellow and to make purple I used 4 drops of blue and 6 of red.  With that said, I came to the conclusion I did things a bit backwards.  So let me tell you how I should have done it so you won't make the same mistake!

Steps:
1.  Get your supplies ready: food coloring, rice (I used regular long grain rice that was cheap), rubbing alcohol, teaspoon, measuring cup, zip lock bag (I used quart size).
2.  Place the 2 tsp of rubbing alcohol in each bag.
3.  Place drops of food coloring into each bag.
4.  Mix food coloring and alcohol together.
5.  Add rice.
6.  Seal the bag and shake/mix until it's all mixed well.
7.  In a well ventilated place lay rice out to dry.  (used aluminum foil but you can use cookie trays or anything else you want to...wax paper, etc)
8.  Once dry (I did it before bed and put it up in the morning) place it in your chosen containers.  I use canning jars but zip lock bags work too.

I did six colors and didn't ventilate what I did...my husband and I almost got high off the fumes.  So PLEASE make sure it's well ventilated!!!

The next day...we made ornaments as Christmas presents!  Once my phone is charged enough to post the pictures, I will show everyone how we did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment